Friday, May 20, 2011

Public schools here are pure evil and Day 9

I just want my kid to learn something when she goes to school.  This year we have her in a preschool we really like.  She goes 2 half days a week and LOVES it.  So next year we want her to go more.  Like every day.  But here's the thing - her school only offers 3 half days a week for 4 year olds.  Lila definitly needs more.  So we decided to try the city schools and see what's up.

My city has very good schools and very bad schools.  There is little in between.  We assumed that since we lived about 4 blocks (and over a hill) from one of the very good schools that Lila would be in the district for that school and we would have been a shoe in to get her into the pre-k program there.  So I called the district office.

Turns out that we are in the zoning for another school that is still less than a mile away but is more, shall we say, "urban" (it's in the ghetto).  It has no windows and is in a neighborhood where you can find crack at any hour of the day or night (seriously, I know because I grew up a few blocks over).  Not to mention that the scores are about half of what they are at the better, prettier school.

I would rather homeschool Lila than send her there.  That's a pretty strong statement because you all KNOW how much I just LOOOOVE spending several days in a row in the house just me and the kid...

The only other option is private school.  In our case, it means Catholic school, which I am not against because I did it and I KNOW I learned more than some of my public school friends.  But the cost...WHEW the cost!

More important is the absurdity that in the same city the PUBLIC schools that are less than a mile away from eachother vary THAT MUCH in the ability to educate the children.  I know it isn't about the teachers.  They do the best they can with what they have.  It's a bigger problem of the city not finding a better way to balance out the kids and the money to make sure that all the kids in the district, regardless of where they live, can go to a school that the parents (like me) can be comfortable with. 

I wonder why that woman in Ohio lied about her residence to get her kids into a better school?  I was thinking of doing the same. 

Moving on:

30 Days of Books Day 9 - A book you've read more than once:


My copy is underlined, dog eared, highlighted, starred and has comments in most of the margins.  I LOVE Kundera's stark scenes and philosophical look at the human condition.

Bing Shopping's description:
A young woman in love with a man torn between his love for her and his incorrigible womanizing; one of his mistresses and her humbly faithful lover -- these are the two couples whose story is told in this masterful novel. In a world in which lives are shaped by irrevocable choices and by fortuitous events, a world in which everything occurs but once, existence seems to lose its substance, its weight. Hence, we feel "the unbearable lightness of being" not only as the consequence of our pristine actions but also in the public sphere, and the two inevitably intertwine.

1 comment:

  1. We have the same issue with our city. There is a HUGE variety of quality from one elementary to another. We lucked out geographically--litterally one block east would have been a different school. It isn't AWFUL, but it isn't great either. The playing field seems to level out in Middle School & High School since they draw from a wider area.

    AND I LOVE "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and I can't remember the last time I read it. I'm going to have to dig out my copy and re-read it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. What did you think?