Tuesday, May 17, 2011

6 - 30 Days of Books

Day 06- A Book that makes you cry


 
 
Anyone familiar with John Irving knows about the emotional potency of his writing.  Anyone who isn't familiar should be warned that he will make you cry.
 
This is a book in three parts and the first part is the subject of the movie "The Door in the Floor".  This is the part of the book that I cry throughout.  Because Ruth is 4 years old and lives in a house where her older brothers had died in a car crash and her mother never quite recovered.  The emotional incapability of her mother is so palpable that it hurts to read.  She ends up having an affair, which is also very emotionally charged and she just leaves one day, never to be seen again.  And so this little girl is left somewhat bereft but very much loved and cared for by her father.
 
The second part of the book is also very satifying and as Ruth becomes a very successful writer she embarks on a book tour.  While in Amsterdam she witnesses a murder and spends the rest of the book trying to find someone who will investigate.
 
In the third and last part, she is widowed and has a young son and falls in a deep love for the first time (which also makes me cry) with the detective who is working on the murder case.  I am not telling if he solves the murder or not but I will say that there is a surprise at the end of the book and it isn't that he's the killer.
 
(Doing this list is making me want to go back and read all these books again from a different point in my life.  Except Twilight.  Fuck Twilight.)

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite John Irving book...although the fourth hand is a close second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Selena! I don't have kids yet, but I love your blog anyway and have been going back through your posts since I found it yesterday (or the day before?). Thanks so much for reminding me of the title of this book. I knew which one it was as soon as you mentioned the name of the movie (which I've never seen and didn't know existed, but I recognized the name) and when I read the first line of your description. Somehow or other I got my hands on this book when I was 15 and a foreign exchange student in Austria. It was one of the only English books I read that year. That was 12 years ago. You know how there are some books that you just read, enjoy, and forget about? Well, this is one of those books that I idly think of a couple times a week when something jogs my memory. Good to actually have the title now! I may need to buy it and read it again.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. What did you think?