Monday, May 16, 2011

30 Days of Books

Day 05- A Non-fiction book that you were assigned in school that you actually enjoyed.

(I told Mollie that I was going to change this up a little because we both took offense to the idea that one could "actually" like nonfiction.  So I added the part about the assignment.)


In Cold Blood by Truman Capote was assigned to me in my creative nonfiction class in college.  I typically HATE true crime and hate gory murder scenes but this book transcended all that with fantastic character development of these two small-time crooks turned murderers of an entire small town family.

The reason I loved this book so much was that Capote took the time to humanize everyone in the story, from the killers to the family to the sheriff investigating the crime.  No one was a small character and the story moves from the time before the crime right through to death row.  Of course, after spending many hours interviewing one of the convicts, Capote develops a crush and so his interpretation of Perry Smith are much more emotional and you actually find yourself momentarily thinking that this guy isn't pure evil but just dealt a bad hand.

The movie version is good, but the book really must be read.  It is a true American classic in every sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. What did you think?