Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 11

Day 11 - The Book that Made You Fall in Love with Reading

In 10th grade, I had the best English teacher on earth who pushed me to find a book that I loved.  I found the Martian Chronicles.  I am not a sci-fi nerd and I don't generally enjoy space themed crap but I LOVED this book because of it's short stories that linked together and then the magical and severely emotionally powerful writing of Bradbury. 

Thank you, Mr. Casamento...It is becaus of this book that I went on to become so promiscuous with books.


From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_Chronicles

The Martian Chronicles is a 1950 science fiction short story collection by Ray Bradbury that chronicles the colonization of Mars by humans fleeing from a troubled and eventually atomically devastated Earth, and the conflict between aboriginal Martians and the new colonists. The book lies somewhere between a short story collection and an episodic novel, containing stories Bradbury originally published in the late 1940s in science fiction magazines. For publication, the stories were loosely woven together with a series of short, interstitial vignettes.

2 comments:

  1. Heh. We read the Martian Chronicles in my senior English class. If I recall right, I was the only one who liked them. Everybody else was all "OMG I chundered everywhere last night".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mainly, everyone was an asshole in that class.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. What did you think?