Monday, March 7, 2011

A Typical Scene....

There was at least 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground as I got out of the driver’s side door to grab Lila from the back seat. When I opened the back seat door, she looked sad and weak and miserable. Her nose had yellow crusted snot around it, and her eyes were set inside deep pools of purple. I unbuckled the stupid car seat, which she begged me not to put her in, and she whined that she wanted to stay sitting down. “C’mon sweetie. We’re gonna see if the doctor can help you feel better.”

I hate taking my kid to the doctor. As a former Hypochondriac, I was surprised to find that I tend to be exactly the opposite with my child, favoring “waiting it out” over calling the doctor’s office nearly every time. Last night, she woke up crying at least 4 times and was saying that her throat was scratchy and I just shrugged it off as another cold. Then this morning, Lila woke up and proceeded to throw up all over her Tinkerbell comforter and was screaming that her throat really hurt and so I called them and they suggested I bring her in right away.

Lila rested her sick little head on my shoulder. As I struggled to carry her limp body, my bag fell from my shoulder into the crook of my arm and swung around my knees further complicating my walk to the door in the ankle-deep snow. We got inside and I signed her in. I picked a seat in the empty waiting room. On the giant plasma TV, Finding Nemo was playing and Lila turned her head to see it. She sat there, face pressed against my chest, as I wrestled her heavy purple coat from around her arms.

About 3 minutes into our wait, the door opened and a chilly breeze slapped me in the face. Behind that breeze, a mother with a baby carrier and a little boy about Lila’s age came waddling in. The boy was excitedly talking about Nemo and ran over to the little activity table and started pushing the brightly colored beads over and through and around he tracks. At this, Lila’s head perked right up.

Lila told me she wanted to get down. “Lila, you’re pretty sick. Stay here with me so that we don’t get this little boy sick too, okay?” The other mother looked at me and made a face as if to say, “don’t worry about it…it’s a doctor’s office and I am sure the toys are filthy to begin with” (at least that’s how I read it).

So I let her off my lap knowing that she was SOOOOO incredibly sick and miserable that we had to rush to come here right away and that in a minute or two, she’d be whining to crawl back into my lap.

But that is NOT what happened. Just at that moment, the nurse called Lila’s name. And Lila enthusiastically jumped up and down and went sprinting toward the nurse asking her if she was going to get a sticker.

“You have GOT to be kidding me, Lila.” I said staring incredulously as the nurse looked over Lila’s file in her arm. “Yes,” I said. “I swear to God, until about a minute and a half ago I was pretty sure my kid was going to need emergency fluids and a bed at the children’s’ hospital, and only for about the last thirty seconds has she appeared to be fine.” The nurse rolled her eyes obviously thinking that I over-reacted when I told her on the phone that my kid was wailing and crying about her painful throat and had a hundred and four fever just an hour or so ago.

Then Lila was the perfect little patient, smiling and showing off on command. The doctor swabbed her throat and it turned out that she definitely had a Strep infection but other than that, she seemed to be fine. I was completely ashamed and horrified that I came off like one of THOSE mothers who hears a cough and demands priority treatment.

Lila got her sticker and as we walked to the car holding hands, I asked her if she felt better. She smiled up at me and said she did. Then as I was attempting to get her arms through the straps of her car seat, she started crying suddenly and puked all over the arm of my coat.

“AWESOME!” I thought.

..............
 
This was inspired by this:
 
Imagine you are meeting someone for the first time. You want to tell them about yourself.

Instead of reciting a laundry list of what you do or where you're from, please give us a scene from your life that best illustrates your true self.






- I am not sure that this is exactly what they were looking for, but it is what came to mind.
-Selena

11 comments:

  1. Love it.

    The post, I mean. Not the puke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if every kid does this--I know mine sure do! They'll seem so sick they can barely function and then they get to the doctor's, they're chatty and wonderful... until the car ride home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least she HAD strep. I cannot tell you how many times I have done this, only to find out that there is ... nothing. wrong. whatsoever.

    I know, how terrible is it that I'm upset to find out my kids do not have some debilitating disease!?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure my boys' charts, over an inch thick, come with an asterick that I'm a loon. Always a fever until they get close to the building.

    Makes me want to move next door, really.

    Sorry about the puke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I get a call from the daycare that my child is throwing up, so I scramble to put some plans together for the sub that I hope we'll be able to call in, screech out of the parking lot to get him from daycare, speed to the pediatrician's office, only to be told he "has a cold." and then we get home and he's happy as a clam.

    :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. God. You just perfectly described the last 3 weeks at my house. Between the vomiting, diarrhea, strep, pink eye and now the mysterious 105-fever-inducing viral infection? I am at wit's end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no more puke. She had strep so it is good that you took her in! I swear my kids act like they are dying until we get to the Dr. too!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, thats just about how it is!!!! What a great scene. thank you for writing about your internal struggle and the reality of life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are in the extreme diarrhea phase this week…because of yogurt. Yea, lots of fun. About 4 onesies a day are ruined.

    ~Penelope (I love to write about beauty tips!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh YES. kids absolutely just know how to save the very best of their illness for their parents. and fevers miraculously disappear upon arrival to the doctor's office! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. What did you think?