Wednesday, January 26, 2011

THAT'S YOUR GREATEST CONCERN???? Really?

I don't normally mix politics and parenting (and in fact, I never link to my politics blog) but this is one time where I feel that my opinion seems more relevant on a blog about my kid. 

Last night after President Obama gave his State of the Union address, Representative Paul Ryan from Wisconsin gave the Republican response.  As an extremely liberal progressive, I rolled my eyes for most of it.  But then he pulled the "parent card" and that just pissed me off.



Paul Ryan was talking about the Federal debt and how if we continue on our current path, our children will inherit a shitty country.  I do not disagree with this sentiment.  In fact, on at least ONE occasion, I have worried that the Lila will not be able to go to college or find a job if she does.  But then that asshole Ryan pulled the drama card.  he said (and I quote):

"Frankly, it's one of my greatest concerns as a parent — and I know many of you feel the same way."

First off, NO.  I don't feel the same way.  When I put my concerns as a parent in a top 5 kind of list, the NATIONAL DEBT does not end up in the "top".  Maybe in the top 20.  Or 50.  But there's PLENTY of things to worry about as a parent.

It must be truly awesome to be a Congressman.  You obviously never have to worry about not being able to feed your kids.  You never have to worry about whether you can afford to take them to the doctor if they get sick.  You never have to worry that you will have to send them to a shitty public school where they won't learn a damned thing and need to go through metal detectors to get in.  You never have to worry that your kid will grow up with a sense of entitlement (because they will likely never have to want for much).  You never have to worry about not being able to pay the rent or mortgage and having to force your kid to live in your car.  You never have to worry about not being able to buy them nice clothes so that the kids at school don't make fun of them.  You never have to worry that they will grow up without a sense of right and wrong and end up in prison because you can always get them out of it (and they can always go on to be in Congress).  You never have to worry that the crappy processed food you feed them is killing them because it's all you can afford.  Do I need to keep going?  Because I have at least 15 more things that I am worried about as a parent, RIGHT NOW.

Frankly, you are in the minority.  In the fantastic and priviliged world you live in, this WOULD be your GREATEST fucking concern as a parent.  And this is why I don't vote Republican.  Because although you may find it if you look hard enough, you would be WAAAAY less likely to find a Democrat who thinks the FEDERAL DEBT is the GREATEST concern to parents. 

5 comments:

  1. While I agree with your overall post, to a point I agree with Mr Ryan... the current path (the fault of both the dems and the reps going back 30 some odd years) will only make your bigger concerns even bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not commenting here on my views politically. Because I have a politics blog where I do that. What really bothers me is how these guys say shit like that just for dramatic effect. "Frankly, it's my BIGGEST concern as a parent." Both the "FRANKLY" and the "BIGGEST CONCERN" are bullshit. I just feel like as a parent, the federal government's spending habits rarely come into my head when I am trying to work all the day to day shit out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ***APPLAUSE & STANDING OVATION***

    Here, here, sister!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. What did you think?