Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm not ready.

(Or Lila finds a new way to make Mommy insane)


"Lila, it's time for school.  You have to get up."
I'm not ready.
"Lila you have to eat some breakfast.  We need to get going."
I'm not ready.
"It's time to get dressed.  Come on.  We need to go in ten minutes."
I'm not ready.

"You have five minutes and then it will be time to go to the doctor."
I'm not ready.
"Can you get ready?"
I'm not ready to get ready.
"In five minutes you need to be ready."
I don't think I will be ready.

"Lila, it's time for dinner. Wash your hands."
I'm not ready.
"I need you to help me set the table."
I'm not ready.
"Well, it is time NOW so ready or not, I need you help me."
I'm not ready NOW.

"Lila, look at the clock.  In 5 minutes it's time for a bath."
I'm not ready.
"Right.  When the clock says 7:15 you need to be ready."
I'm not ready.
"Ok.  That's why I am telling you to watch the clock."
I'm not ready to watch the clock.
"Ok.  Well you have 5 minutes."
I won't be ready.

"We need to get your pajamas on and get ready for bed."
I'm not ready.
"ok.  Well, We have to do things we aren't ready for sometimes."
I'm not ready.
"Lila, if you don't get your pajamas on you don't get a bedtime snack."
I WANT MY SNACK RIGHT NOW!!!
"Well, I'm not ready."

20 comments:

  1. :-) Mama always gets the last laugh. We're dealing with "nope" around here lately, and I think it's just about as irritating as "I'm not ready."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So aggravating, isn't it??? This is why mama drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!
    Turn it around on her!
    Also?
    Did you get a new design or am I drunk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy do I know about this. You captured the frustration of this so well. I like the name of your blog. You're right:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ZING! hahahahaaha, Lila!! It is moments like these that make me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has recently started the "I'm thirsty/hungry" when it is time to et ready for bed. Visiting LBS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...because sometimes a good laugh is our best defense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. exactly! on your entire conversation. been. there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! This is awesome!! Seriously, great way to shut her up. Isn't it funny how they become fixated on one phrase for days and days? Ugh...well, maybe that can't be described as funny, huh?

    Great post! Thanks for linking up with The Lightning and the Lightning Bug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me of the Maurice Sendak book about Pierre who says nothing but "I don't care." Of course he is eaten by a lion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds me of alllll the conversations I have with my nearly-5 year old. HE's also taken to yelling at me "I want to do what I want to do!!" He's gonna be a joy as a teen, I can just tell. Let's not get our kids together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious!
    I love how Very Busy And Important kids can be.
    Came from TL&TLB linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember sharing your experience on this post...and have lived it personally several times since!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i remember this one.. and its just as funny the second time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I thought the pre-verbal whining was annoying! Oh, the things I have to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found you from The Lightning Bug's Dare to Share weekend.

    I laughed so hard. Your daughter sounds exactly like my son AND daughter combined. Only they both have trouble expressing themselves. It isn't that they aren't vocal. (oh GOD they're vocal). It's that they often can't communicate their desires at the time they are experiencing them. Often, my son says "I'm not ready" by shrieking and dashing away from me, then flying back into the room with some toy demanding, "Let's play NOW". My daughter just half does whatever it is I've instructed, then picks up a book. So I'll find her sitting on her bed with her school shirt on, but her yesterday-underpants fallen around her ankles, half naked, reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's fantastic! It's good for them to get a dose of their own medicine now and then.

    Came from TL$TLB linkup.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. What did you think?